Matuska Taxidermy Supply Company is now carrying Stop-Rot.
- Stop-Rot was developed as an aid in preventing hair and epidermal slip. Not only has it been stopping epidermal and hair slips, it has also been improving efficiency of acids in the acid/saline solution (pickle). It keeps the slimy membrane from “sliming-up”, making it easier to shave off, and allowing faster and deeper penetration of acids.
- Stop-Rotextends the work time of a fresh hide by slowing down or stopping decompositions. In essence, it is a short term preservative.
- Apply as soon as possible after the animal has been skinned. If it is a frozen skin or cape, apply as quickly as possibly after the thawing process and even during the thawing if possible. Stop-Rot helps soften and rehydrate freezer burned skin.
- ApplyStop-Rot with a paint brush to a cape that has had chunks of meat and fat removed. Three to five ounces will be sufficient for whitetail size capes. Application on other mammals will be proportionate, depending on size. Brush on, DO NOT apply with a mister.
- Cover flesh side thoroughly and liberally; it is not necessary to have it pooling on the skin. Stop-Rot can also be brushed on the hair side of un-turned ears for easier opening of freezer burned or overly dry ears. It can also be injected under the ear skin with a hypodermic needle, which will speed up the softening process.
- Stop-Rotmakes fleshing and turning much simpler, faster and efficient. You can now remove muscle tissue from the nose pad, lips and eyebrows. Just dab a small amount of Stop-Roton the areas from which muscle tissue is to be removed and let sit for a while before fleshing.
- Stop-Rot will “float-up” coagulated blood from around bullet holes allowing easy clean up with the wipe of a paper towel.
- If salt drying is desired,Stop-Rot will speed up the salt drying process after the cape has been fleshed.
- Once the cape has been in the acid pickle solution a sufficient length of time, it can be removed and shaved without having to be returned to the pickle before proceeding with neutralization and finishing.
*User should work with gloves when using this product or any other chemical compounds on animal skins, and don’t forget your eye protection!